Re: Multiple checkout copies

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Multiple checkout copies
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 09:40:20 +0100

> I wrote
>
>   > Doesn't 'git clone' download a copy of the whole repository?
>   > > I thought that is what it did.
>
> and you answered
>
>   > When you do a "git checkout" of an existing git repository it will
>   > hard-link the files in .git/objects so that they are shared between the
>   > repositories.
>
> How does one get from the one t the other?  I am lost.

I suppose by fixing a finger fluke.  The second statement can be turned
from nonsensical to accurate by replacing "git checkout" with "git
clone".  Of course, you still need to make this "of an existing git
repository on the same file system" since otherwise you won't be getting
hard links.

--
David Kastrup