Re: Multiple checkout copies

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: Multiple checkout copies
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 13:37:12 +0000

[…]

 >> In any case, as long as the repo cloned via "--shared" is a bare
 >> repository that was cloned from upstream Emacs and you do not clone
 >> the second generation again in this manner, "--shared" is still
 >> safe.

 > No, it isn't.  You can have both local branches and remote branches
 > removed from the cloned bare repo while your --shared clone still
 > uses objects that are no longer retained in the first clone.

        “Can” in the sense that you /can/ use Git to shoot yourself in
        the foot, or are there cases where git-fetch(1) would indeed
        autoremove any branch references from a bare repository?

 >> It can still be a net win for throw-away clones needed during a
 >> build.

 > Basically the only sensible use is for temporary clones used (and
 > deleted again) within a script.

        I use a separate filesystem for local mirrors, including those
        of upstream Git repositories.  Thus, --shared is pretty much the
        only space-saving option.

        Works for me that way since c. 2008.

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A