Re: merging of the xwidget branch to master

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: merging of the xwidget branch to master
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 21:39:06 +0100

'joakim' writes:
> David Engster <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Here is a close approximation of the yum package list for debian:
>>>  apt-get install git gobject-introspection ncurses-devel
>>> libjpeg62-turbo-dev libxpm-dev libjpeg62-dev libtiff5-dev
>>> libncurses5-dev libgif-dev texinfo
>>
>> Next to the usual libraries for building Emacs, you need to install
>> libgtk-3-dev, libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev, and libgirepository1.0-dev.
>>
>> However, it does not build for me:
>>
>>   CC       xwidget.o
>> In file included from xwidget.c:79:0:
>> /usr/include/gtk-3.0/gtk/gtkscrolledwindow.h:26:2: error: #error
>> "Only <gtk/gtk.h> can be included directly."
>> make[1]: *** [xwidget.o] Error 1
>>
>> That's on 1d11624 in the Emacs repository.
>
> Thats odd.
>
> I can try to recreate the issue.
>
> Which one of these Dockerfiles resemble your environment?
>
> https://registry.hub.docker.com/_/debian/

That site does not seem to be available at the moment, but the issue
seems simple enough: the GTK people really don't want you to include
specific headers aside from gtk.h. If I remove the include for
gtkscrolledwindow.h, everything compiles fine.

For the record: this is on Debian 7 (Wheezy), which has libgtk3
3.4.2. The header gtkscrolledwindow.h has this as the top:

  #if !defined (__GTK_H_INSIDE__) && !defined (GTK_COMPILATION)
  #error "Only <gtk/gtk.h> can be included directly."
  #endif

-David