Re: Multiple checkout copies

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: Multiple checkout copies
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 12:02:00 +0000

[…]

 >> My idea is to do my editing in the 'emacs' directory, as well as
 >> pulling updates there.  So these points seem like features rather
 >> than bugs.

[…]

 > $ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git --bare emacs.git
 > $ git clone emacs.git/ emacs-master
 > $ git clone emacs.git/ emacs-24
 > $ cd emacs-24 ; git checkout emacs-24 ; cd ..

[…]

 > The downside is that you must always update in two steps when pulling
 > (emacs.git from savannah, then the working repo from emacs.git).
 > However, this is easily scripted or made an alias.

        Yes.

 > Pushing also has to be done in two steps, just the other way around.

        Actually, it isn’t strictly necessary, as it’s possible to give
        the target repository URI explicitly to git-push(1), like:

$ cd emacs-master
$ git push -n git+ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/emacs.git \
      HEAD:master ; ## double check here
$ git push    git+ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/emacs.git \
      HEAD:master

 > I personally see this as an advantage, since it gives you another
 > check-point before things go public and become essentially immutable.

        I prefer to keep my bare repositories as just mirrors of the
        upstream ones, not cluttered with any local commits I may have.

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A