Re: GNU Elpa Theme (ahungry-theme) - should I add code to auto load-them

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: GNU Elpa Theme (ahungry-theme) - should I add code to auto load-theme it?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 15:48:32 -0500

> By coder and bug, are you referring to my ahungry-theme ELPA package, or
> the author of the deftheme components/package built into emacs 24?

I'm not familiar enough with the custom-theme code to be able to answer
that yet, sorry.

> My theme has 3 calls in it:

> (deftheme ahungry)
> (custom-theme-set-faces 'ahungry <theme face settings omitted>)
> (provide-theme 'ahungry)

That looks sane.  Do you know which one ends up activating that theme?
I'd guess it's custom-theme-set-faces.
Is there some other way to set the faces of a particular theme without
activating that theme?

> In most cases, a user has zero reason to #'require the theme unless they
> plan to load it,

It's difficult to change the behavior between `load' and `require' and
a `load' can happen as a side-effect of something else, so by convention
we want loading to have "no" side-effect (of course, that's ill-defined
since loading a file has nothing but side-effects, but what is meant is
that the side-effects are minor such as providing new
things (commands/functions/...) rather than modifying existing ones).

Not all files follow this convention, but over the years, we've tried to
get closer to the ideal.

        Stefan