Re: extending case-fold-search to remove nonspacing marks (diacritics et

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: extending case-fold-search to remove nonspacing marks (diacritics etc.)
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 13:58:00 +0900

Artur Malabarba writes:

 > The bright side is that I think this two-char way of writing latin
 > accents is much less common (not 100% sure though, it's hard to
 > tell the difference).

Yes, it's less common if you take a random sample of the storage in
the world, but there are specific places where the canonical NFD form
is standardized, such as Apple's default file system (at least for Mac
OS).  I'm not sure how common that is (NFC is more friendly to casual
hackers), but in any case there is a need to be able to deal with
decomposed characters because not all composition sequences have
precomposed forms.

I would assume that Emacs's character handling machinery knows about
this stuff, though, or at least the underlying libraries do.  It's
probably just a matter of incorporating an appropriate library call.