Re: Use of dedicated windows in gdb-mi.el

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: Use of dedicated windows in gdb-mi.el
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 20:14:40 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Oleh Krehel <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 19:02:11 +0100
>>
>> I'm not happy with the current state of dedicated windows in gdb.
>
> Can you elaborate?

For example:

1. `gdb' a C++ program
2. `gdb-many-windows'
3. switch to "*input/output of main*"
4. issue `ido-switch-buffer`

=> the buffer is switched in the "main.cc" window, although the point was in the
"*input/output of main*" window. I'm guessing that's because
"*input/output of main*" is dedicated. In fact, all of them are, except
the two that I actually want to see always: "main.cc" and "*gud-main*".

>> In any case, could I add a custom variable to completely turn off
>> dedicated windows in gdb-mi.el?
>
> The default is not to display them, so I wonder how come you want them
> turned off via defcustom.  What am I missing?
>
> In any case, if you do want to turn them off, we already have a
> command to do that: "M-x gdb-many-windows RET".

This doesn't work on 24.4.1.

Oleh