Re: Character group folding in searches

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Character group folding in searches
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 22:03:08 -0500

> Char-tables are efficient, and at least for decomposition they seem to
> be the perfect vehicle.  DFAs that come out of arbitrary regexps,
> OTOH, can sometimes be very inefficient.  That's why I tend to think
> about this in terms of char-tables.

That's a false dichotomy.  DFA is about *recognizing* multi-char
entities.  If the input entities you care about are only single-char (as
is the case for decomposition), then your DFA will degenerate to
a single char-table (as is the case now).

But how do you use current char-tables to handle multi-char input
entities (i.e. to recognize things like "=>")?

> Who and how will create such a DFA?

They'd be mechanically constructed (by hand-written code), for example
driven by the existing Unicode tables.

        Stefan