Re: X selection access in xterm (OSC 52)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: X selection access in xterm (OSC 52)
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 23:23:08 -0500

> It’s a nice feature but be aware that most DE-specific X-based
> terminal emulators (GNOME, Xfce, Konsole, …) do not implement it and
> still advertise themselves as TERM=xterm[-256color].

Right, the code needs to be able to handle the situation where the
underlying terminal emulator doesn't support the feature.

There are typically 2 situations:
- the terminal emulator just ignores the special codes we send, so we
  can happily delude ourselves into thinking they always work.
- we check the terminal version info before enabling/using the feature
  (see xterm--version-handler in lisp/xterm.el).

It seems the first option won't work here, since we may send large
chunks of text as clipboard contents, which are unlikely to be
silently ignored.

        Stefan