Re: [elpa] Excorporate: Exchange integration package

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: [elpa] Excorporate: Exchange integration package
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 07:41:07 -0500

> Thomas Fitzsimmons <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
>> Alexandru Harsanyi provided lots of guidance and help extending
>> soap-client.el to support the full Exchange Web Services API.
>
> Do you plan also to update soap-client.el in the Emacs 25 repo? Last
> time I've tried it I failed, because your work was done in a branch on
> emacs-soap-client.googlecode.com.

Yes, Alex and I plan to do that.  I was waiting to release Excorporate
so that I was sure EWS support was complete before doing the merge.

To be clear, making EWS work involved extending soap-client's for XML
Schema Definitions in general ways.  There is nothing EWS-specific in
that work; nothing that advantages EWS over other SOAP services.  The
resulting improvements found bugs in soap-client's support for other
services like Debbugs.  I feel very strongly that Excorporate's
rejection from GNU ELPA has no bearing on merging these general
soap-client improvements.

(As an aside: I believe that, once merged, the new soap-client will
provide the closest thing that Emacs has ever had to full XSD validation
support.  I've seen talk of implementing XSD over the years on
emacs-devel; someone motivated may want to take a look at factoring
"xsd.el" out of soap-client.el.)

Thomas