Re: pre-command-hook with input methods

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: pre-command-hook with input methods
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 09:41:35 -0500

>> The Right Way to fix this is to change the default value to be non-nil.
>> In this case, I think using #'list might work.
> I am not sure how that would work.  Surely the point of having this as a
> variable is that it can be changed?

I'm only suggesting to change the default value from nil to `list',
which I just did in "master".

This then allows you to use `add-function' on that variable.

But I still think there's room for improvement with something like
a `pre-interaction-hook' or something like that.  Brings me to the next
question.  We know you'd like such a pre-interaction-hook to be run just
before processing the first char in a multi-char input-method element,
but what about the simpler/common case of a key prefix:

When the user hits C-x C-f, would you like to run this
pre-interaction-hook right when the user hits C-x, or only after the
user hit C-x C-f?

Maybe what you're after is just an input-event-hook?

        Stefan