Re: Use of dedicated windows in gdb-mi.el

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: Use of dedicated windows in gdb-mi.el
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 18:22:25 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Oleh Krehel <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Thibaut Verron <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
>> Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 16:57:36 +0100
>>
>> I'm using plain `gdb', I don't even like `gdb-many-windows'. But even in
>> plain `gdb', I'm getting a dedicated *output* window that pops up each
>> time there's output.
>
> Don't you _want_ to see the output of a program you are debugging?

Nope. I can see all that I need through "p". The actual program output
for my particular program is barely relevant during runtime, and completely
irrelevant during debug time.

> And I still don't understand why you must switch buffers in that
> specific window.

Because I _don't want_ to see a window that I don't want to see,
*output* in this case. I like to have complete control over all my Emacs
windows at all time, with no irrelevant windows to annoy me.

>> The patch that I attached solves my problem with plain `gdb'.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but it looked to me that it made _all_
> the gdb-mi windows soft-dedicated.  If that's true, how about making
> only the popping output window soft-dedicated instead?

It changed two calls to `set-window-dedicated-p` to use the new custom
var, which is still t by default. Why should this worry you? I can set
the flag to 'soft, and you can keep it t.

Oleh