RE: Use of dedicated windows in gdb-mi.el

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Use of dedicated windows in gdb-mi.el
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 11:44:15 -0800 (PST)

> >> I dislike non-soft dedicated windows because they're bad design.
> >
> > What's the bad design about having such a possibility?
>
> You have a window. You switched to it explicitly. You want to change the
> buffer that's in it, but you can't.

If you want to change the buffer that's in the window, then you don't
want a (normally) dedicated window.

That doesn't imply bad design.  It just says that you did something
(made the window dedicated) that you didn't want to do.  You shot
yourself in the foot.  That's just bad aim on the part of the pilot.

> To top it off, it looks exactly the same all the other windows, 99.5% of
> which that don't behave this way.

Not for me, it doesn't.  I use options `special-display-frame-alist',
`special-display-buffer-names', and `special-display-regexps'.

*Messages* corresponds to my value of `special-display-regexps', which
is ("[ ]?[*][^*]+[*]").  As such, it gets a different background color
from my non-special frames.

> Add even on top that it wasn't you who explicitly specified this
> behavior for your window. This behavior was simply loaded from a
> package.

Blame that one on the package.  If that's true, and it that behavior
is hard-coded and not user-configurable, then THAT is bad design.

IMHO.