Re: Character group folding in searches

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Character group folding in searches
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 21:15:21 -0500

> Why should we?  "->" could be equivalent to ?→, but I see no reason to
> make it equivalent to "=>".

The me the question goes the other way: how can you be sure noone will
ever need/want equivalence classes which include things like "->" and
"=>" at the same time?

> And the DFA will be in C or in Lisp?

The DFA itself will be a Lisp data-structure, at first I'd expect it to
be simply a bunch of inter-connected char-tables.  The code that "runs"
such a DFA on a chunk of text is usually very simple so I'd expect that
it can be implemented in C very easily, tho an Elisp implementation is
also an option.

> Anyway, I hope to see something like that landing on master,
> preferably sooner than later.

FWIW, elpa/packages/lex has Elisp code that builds such DFAs from
regular expressions, along with an Elisp loop that runs such DFAs to
perform regexp-matching and regexp-searching.

But I don't have any immediate plans to work on this, no.

        Stefan