Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 13:45:10 +0100

On Tue, Feb 10 2015, David Kastrup wrote:

> It is not speculation but nonsense.  LLVM is already released under GPL
> compatible terms.  They _are_ already giving us permission for all we
> could ask of them.

They are also giving NVIDIA permission to do whatever it likes to do
with it.

> You can make a GPL-only release of LLVM today if you
> want to.  This "they could say that they prefer to help NVIDIA than to
> help the FSF" is a load of bollocks.

A hypothetical GNU LLVM project that is distinct from the original
project would have a hard time to attract people.

> What else do you want?

I, as an individual, don't care.  But the FSF does care very much about
the distinction between the licenses.  If the FSF stops caring about the
distinction then it can just declare defeat and stop promoting the GPL.

> Tell them to dissolve their own community and
> commit ritual suicide?

Changing the license would hardly be suicide.  Apple could still be the
main contributor and they managed to survive even when they had to use
GCC.  It would piss off NVIDIA but it might attract some other
individuals who don't like the idea that NVIDIA profits from their
contributions.  Either way, you don't make those decisions.

Helmut