Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 18:03:27 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>> You seem not to have even understood that your insistence has compelled
>> David Engster to stop working on GCC-based code completion support
>> for CEDET.
>
> FWIW, I think David made a mistake when he gave up.

I have only given up on using GCC. I have not given up on improving the
C++ parser, but I will do it outside Emacs, using libtooling and
libclang.

>I faced a similar disheartening intention (for quite different, but
>still political) reasons when I worked on bidi support.  I decided to
>disregard and proceed, and the result is before your eyes.

The crucial difference is that I could not have done this on my own, but
that I would have needed lots of help from the GCC project, most
importantly the willingness to actively support tooling based on GCC,
which in the end means opening up the compiler further. I'm pretty sure
that eventually I would have needed changes upstream, either to make my
life easier, or to retrieve information that isn't available in the
AST. Even if RMS finally decides to tolerate an AST export, it is clear
that he won't approve of the general direction that is needed to make
GCC a contender in the tooling area.

-David