Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 21:25:18 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> From: David Engster <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>> address@hidden
>
>> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 18:36:45 +0100
>>
>> "As one of the GCC developers working during the last ten years on
>> reducing the gap between GCC and Clang, I would suggest that Emacs
>> developers who are happy with Clang should just use it to improve Emacs
>> (I'm also an Emacs user!) and those that are unhappy with Clang should
>> just join the GCC team and help us such that in some years, GCC could be
>> an alternative. Anything else is just noise." [1]
>>
>> So it's all "just noise" unless I become a GCC developer. No thanks.
>
> Do you want me to show you similar quotes about bidi, from 12 years
> ago?
> Do you know how many false ideas were uttered when bidi was
> in design phase, and I didn't know enough about Emacs display to tell
> right from wrong?

Again, you make it sound like I'm giving up. I don't. My error was to
think working with GCC would get support from RMS/GNU. Since that isn't
the case, there simply is no reason left to choose it over
libclang/libtooling, which is vastly superior for implementing IDE
tooling features.

> Just disregard that, and do what you think is right.

That's exactly what I'm doing.

-David