Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 17:46:35 -0500

  > I'm pretty sure more work is still done on GCC under NDA than on LLVM,

I doubt that anyone is in a position to know.  But the two are not
comparable anyway.

A version of GCC made under NDA can't be redistributed by the company
that commissioned it.  The GNU GPL requires that.

By contrast, LLVM is not copyefted, the company that commissioned a
modified version under NDA can distribute proprietary binaries.

  > What does user freedom matter if they never even get to use the code?

What does release of the code matter, if it would deny users their freedom?

The basic idea of the free software movement is that users should have
freedom for all the software they use.  A proprietary program is worse
than no program.  A proprietary program is an injustice.

We use copyleft to insist: either release your modified version as
source in the same way, or keep it private, but do not distribute it
in a way that would separate people from their freedom.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation