Re: Defending GCC considered futile

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Defending GCC considered futile
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:54:37 +0200

> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:44:44 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 11:29:41 -0500
> > From: "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden
> >
> > On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:14:17 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Modularizing GCC is not discouraged.  It actually happens as we
> > > speak, check out the latest developments in GCC 5 and GDB.
> >
> > If this is the case, what is the problem with Emacs directly linking
> > against the GCC front end to get access to the C and C++ AST?
>
> I don't know, you tell me.

Btw, I don't really know what you mean by "front end" above, but if
you think the modularization of GCC means separating the back-end,
i.e. the part that is target-dependent, then that's not what how it's
done in this case.  There's more than one way to make a compiler
modular and easy to use by other programs.