Re: Debugging emacs memory management

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: Debugging emacs memory management
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 20:07:54 +0100

* Dima Kogan:

> I'm running emacs snapshots from the latest git, usually as a
> long-running daemon. For a few months now I've had to restart my emacs
> session every week or so because it eats all my RAM, and cycling emacs
> is the only way to get the RAM back.

For discovering incorrectly retained GCed objects, I used this patch,
which adds a `garbage-collect-dump' function:

<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-09/msg00951.html>

However, the leak in question was a native memory allocation, so I had
to use a different kind of allocation tracking:

<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-09/msg00983.html>

It probably won't work on current systems due to frame pointer
omission.