Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/package-fix e5d5cdf 1/2: emacs-lisp/package.el

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/package-fix e5d5cdf 1/2: emacs-lisp/package.el: Indicate incompatible packages.
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 23:00:24 +0000

> > +     ((not (package--compatible-p pkg-desc)) "incompat")
>
> Of course, this should be transitive: if one of the required packages is
> "incompat", then the package is also "incompat".

Ideally, yes. That's why I factored it out as a function.

However, this is called on each package about to be printed, and checking whether the dependencies are available imposes a performance cost that I'm not sure we should pay. The time for printing the package list will go from linear to quadratic in the number of packages.