Re: Defending GCC considered futile

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Defending GCC considered futile
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:13:17 -0500

  > Yes, but that was long ago. More recently people have worked to make
  > GCC more modular

I don't know of any such work, but the GCC developers wouldn't normally
discuss it with me -- they would just do it.

                     and to re-use of GCC for other work,

That's something else -- or, I should say, a broad range of many
different something elses.  Some of them are good and some are bad.

We want the modules of GCC to be combined with other modules _only by
linking_ so that the GPLm= must apply to the other modules.

On the other hand, connecting modules of GCC to other separate
programs is potentially dangerous.  For instance, outputting complete
ASTs from GCC is potentially dangerous.

People have presented arguments that it isn't really dangerous
nowadays.  They might be valid, and I want to consider them under calm
circumstances -- no pressure.

If I conclude it is ok for GCC to output the AST, are you interested
in working with that?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation