Re: Cairo branch.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Cairo branch.
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 20:17:34 +0100

Hi.

> 12 feb 2015 kl. 17:04 skrev Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
>
>> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 16:01:11 +0100
>> From: "Jan D." <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu made the patch to demonstrate printing, so that is
>> new (see x-print-frames-dialog or the Printing section in xfns.c).
>>
>> Otherwise it is just a step to keep up with the times, i.e. server side
>> (as in X11 server) rendering is going away as it seems.  So Emacs must
>> at some point develop client side (cairo) rendering.
>
> Is the intent to use Cairo alone, or also use Pango?

Cairo alone.  We use the normal font backend stuff, there is a new one for
cairo (ftcrfont.c), based on the Freetype backend (ftfont.c).

> If the latter, then one problem we'd need to figure out is what to do
> with bidirectional display, since AFAIR Pango does its own reordering.
>
> Another interesting issue is whether we want to use Cairo on Windows
> as well, and eventually drop the w32-specific display back-end.

You have to separate the event and system interaction from the rendering in
w32, but also in the X backend so to have a pure resuable cairo rendering code
base.  Right now its all kind of mixed in.

        Jan D.