Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 20:27:37 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> The parser actions are higher level lisp functions; they do call
>> put-text-property, but there is significant logic in the lisp, and I'd
>> rather not re-implement that in the module, to simplify maintenance.
>
> I don't see why calling Elisp from a C (or Ada) module would cause any
> kind of problem, so this approach looks fine to me.

This is just my experience from implementing Xwidgets FWIW.

Originally I tried having external code calling Emacs internals, but
that was very unreliable. Then I switched to generating events that was
handled by the Emacs eventloop, and that now works fine.

The other way around, Emacs calling code in a module via the Gnome
Introspection API works fine, except marshalling all the types isnt
trivial.

It would be nice if we could find some synergies between gnome object
introspection and other FFI types.

--
Joakim Verona