Patches: inline vs. attachment, compressed vs. uncompressed. [was: Run

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Patches: inline vs. attachment, compressed vs. uncompressed. [was: Run hook when variable is set]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 19:53:50 +0000

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 02:36:32PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Use `K i' from the summary buffer, or `i' on the MIME button in the
> > article buffer.

> Oh, cool, I hadn't even tried but indeed it works!
> OK, so feel free to send compressed patches from now on,

Please don't.  Compressed patches are more troublesome to read than
normal ones.  Not everybody uses the same setup.

For that matter, why are so many patches being sent as attachments these
days rather than being inline in the text?  The patch program is quite
capable of extracting an inline patch from extraneous matter.

Attachments are more troublesome to read than inline patches.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).