Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:44:08 +0100

I've let this sit for a few days, didn't expect so much feedback, good!

I was in favor of a tight integration (like Linux kernel modules which
are in the same repository as the kernel) about after reading
everything I'm not sure what to think anymore. Keeping modules
uptodate with Emacs while also backporting features to older Emacs is
insane, that's for sure.

In any case rewriting current modules is not a problem, they are very
simple and meant as examples/POCs.

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 5:52 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:
> No, it simply means that the current modules are programmed by people
> who know about dlopen and Emacs internals and have not thought about
> designing a runtime environment for the modules.

I'm far from an expert, yes. I'm just the guy who wanted to extend
Emacs in C without recompiling it and acted on it.

A real FFI would be better than a module API but I'm not sure how to
handle certain things: making/passing struct pointers and callbacks,
mainly. I don't know if it can be efficient either.

> Daniel's proposal makes a lot of sense, and is better than the current
> S?XEmacs design.

Daniel's proposal is very good yes, it's the most convincing solution
I think. And as he said the FFI can be implemented on top of it. I
just hope all the type conversion and intern() calls won't ruin
performances.