Re: Noisy byte compilation on master

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Noisy byte compilation on master
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 07:31:56 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:
>> The next problem are those "Obsolete name arg 'foo' to constructor"
>> messages.  I cannot simply omit the names as this won't work with older
>> EIEIO.
>
> Indeed, you'd have to use `make-instance'.

Rewriting all the constructor calls in CEDET would take me
ages. Besides, `make-instance' is too verbose for my taste.

> Or you could use a macro which either drops the name argument or passes
> it depending on the version of EIEIO with which it's compiled.

I would still have to rewrite the constructor calls, right?

> Not sure where you ot that idea, but we don't have such a requirement.
> I even often setup such multiple-entries-from-the-guy-same-day *by
> hand*, when I feel like it helps structure the ChangeLog.

Remember that I did merges maybe every few months. I had a ton of
entries for the same day as result, containing things like

 (foo): Change 'a' to 'c'.

 (foo): Revert previous change.

 (foo): Change 'a' to 'b'.

I was under the impression that stuff like this had to be cleared up.

[...]

> I understand it's annoying, but I don't understand why you think that us
> moving to auto-generated ChangeLogs won't solve those problems for you.

Sorry, I didn't know that all this could be handled automatically. I was
under the impression that I'd still have to edit the generated
logs. I'll be quiet, then. :-)

-David