Re: erc has lost its version number? (was: [elpa] ZNC package)

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: erc has lost its version number? (was: [elpa] ZNC package)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 10:36:44 +0000

> ERC Version has been changed to follow emacs versioning.
> It is part of emacs and does not need separate versioning.
> There are indeed some changes in emacs-24 branch that
> need to be merged into master

It needs a version number in order to be considered a package by
`package.el'. There is a number of packages on the repositories which
depend on `erc-5.3', and these currently can't be installed on emacs
master because the dependency can't be met.

We need to either ask these packages to rely on Emacs version instead
of erc version, or come up with a way to indicate that a package
should inherit emacs' version number, or go back to specifying erc's
version.