Re: Updated eudcb-mab.el

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: Updated eudcb-mab.el
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 09:52:28 -0500

Hi Danie,

Danie Roux <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Emacs-devel,
>
> I've updated eudcb-mab.el to directly query the contacts database,
> instead of using an external application.

It looks like you're still relying on an external application, sqlite3,
instead of "contacts", right?

> Is this useful, what do I need to do to get the official version
> updated?

It seems like an improvement to depend on a standard executable like
sqlite3, yes.  It probably makes sense to change eudcb-mab in the way
you're suggesting rather than providing a new backend eudcb-mab-sqlite,
right?  Is this patch backward compatible with the "contacts" format?
If not, do you have a sense for how common the "contacts" format is
these days?  Would it make sense to obsolete the contacts format and
support only the sqlite3 format in Emacs 25?

> Please find the changed version attached.

There are formatting issues where some lines are too long.  Please wrap
those.

Are you able to provide a test database file with example data and a
test procedure for using it for completion?  That would be a useful
addition.  I haven't been able to test the MAB backend myself because I
don't have access to a Mac OS or GNUstep system.

Do you have a copyright assignment on file?  This patch may be small
enough that one is not required; maybe someone else could comment on
this?

Thanks,
Thomas