Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 22:29:03 -0500

> I'm worried about what happens during long Emacs development
> cycles.  Say we're developing Emacs 26 and during its yearlong release
> cycle, we add to emacs_env a `make_foo' in month 3 and an `access_bar'
> hook in month 6.

We don't provide any support for non-released version of Emacs other
than "the latest on its branch", so once `access_bar' is added the
intermediate situation where `make_foo'was added but `access_bar' wasn't
simply doesn't exist anymore (that is, it may exist but any user of such
an Emacs is expected to fix the problem by upgrading (or downgrading)).

> A size field seems just right, since it automatically updates when and
> only when we add something to the struct.

IIUC there'd be a size field anyway,whether or not there's also
a version field.

        Stefan