Re: antlr-mode.el - need some support by python.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: antlr-mode.el - need some support by python.el
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 05:30:16 +0200

On 02/19/2015 05:20 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I can't give you such a situation off-hand, but I've seen plenty of
problems when executing innocent code in a narrowed buffer.
I've gone and rewrote all kinds of codes (e.g. filling) to avoid using
narrowing specifically for that reason.

I've also seen problems with narrowing, but maybe classfying them and adding some rules would turn out a useful result.

E.g. in latex-mode, a "\begin{verbatim}" has to go to column 0, no
matter what the context.
Are there important cases like this where we can't "flip" the modes and
consider latex the "primary" mode instead?

All this just to avoid passing LEFTMOST-COL?

Not really. The leftmost-col avoidance scheme I described further on would deal with latex as submode just fine.

Rather, it's a general observation: flipping the modes can simplify things. For instance, whenever we talk about indentation in a submode being dependent on the previous chunks of that submode, but not the primary mode contents between then, it sounds like the roles should be reversed.