Default setting for sh-maybe-here-document-mode

From: Thibaut Verron
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 09:19:22 +0100

Hello,

I was wondering why is `sh-electric-here-document-mode` activated by default for new documents in `sh-mode`? In my opinion, it is confusing to beginners, and working around it is difficult.

I was under the impression that in most cases, this kind of commands, inserting text beyond what the user types, without requiring anything besides text input, are disabled by default. AUCTeX's electric backslash, for example, require a specific option to be set, even though in most cases it can be transparent input-wise (just visually confusing). Another example is dabbrev, which needs to be activated by the user.

And why is it so hard to disable it once you find out where the annoying behavior comes from? (Just see how many articles deal with this specific issue; and having changed the name of the mode in 24.3 doesn't help)

I understand that changing defaults is sensible, but in this case, wouldn't it be worth it? In my opinion, the only people who may appreciate this setting are people who know how to use C-q to work around it, and these people will know how to reactivate it.

Regards,

Thibaut Verron