Re: Default setting for sh-maybe-here-document-mode

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Default setting for sh-maybe-here-document-mode
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 18:23:10 +0100

>> Hmm... indeed, maybe it should be a global minor mode?
> And auto-loaded?

I think we could make it so that (setq sh-electric-here-document-mode
nil) in your ~/.emacs would be sufficient.

Autoloading it and having users put (sh-electric-here-document-mode -1)
in their ~/.emacs means that those users end up loading
sh-script.el eagerly.

> This could work. Another option would be to reenable the binding on
> '<' (see just below), and let users who do not want the behavior use
> self-insert-command.

No, using post-self-insert-hook instead of a key-binding was the main
motivation behind the change.  Reverting this is not an option.

Now I am curious, I'll probably dive in the mailing list history to find out more about this motivation.

> It is very easy: try to feed a single line to a command, using a
> here-string. In other words, try to enter
>     command <<< "line of text"

Ah, right, I remember this now (obviously, I never use it myself).

Could you file a bug report for it?  I think the feature was developed
at a time where <<< didn't exist, and accommodating <<< will require
some rethinking.

Sure thing.

> This use-case can be accommodated with this piece of code:
> http://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/5338/184
> It still fails in case the here-document is supposed to start with a <,
> which is reasonable, but would probably be even more confusing as a default.

It's also rather jarring to have a "big" chunk of text be inserted
there, and it may not occur to the user than hitting a third < will get
her what she wanted.

> Another use-case, even if you never use here-strings, is that you want to
> enter a single <, but enter << instead.  You would expect this mistake to be
> corrected with a single backspace, but it's not.

We could special case this, potentially, but at the same time `undo' is
your friend.

I know, but for some reason I can't get the hang of using undo in the flow of writing text.

> By the way, we could design it so that the feature is still accessible, but
> through more conventional entry points, for example by pressing TAB with
> point after << .

Right, or we could trigger the heredoc template after `< < SPC' rather
than just after '< <'.  In any case, given the use of <<< I agree that
the current moment at which heredoc is triggered is inappropriate.

This is a good idea, but in this case you also need to include < < - as a trigger.

Thibaut