Re: Move verilog-mode and vhdl-mode to elpa.gnu.org

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Move verilog-mode and vhdl-mode to elpa.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 16:18:41 -0500

>> Not sure.  It depends on what are the reasons why you currently don't
>> update the Emacs code yourself (and have Glenn do it instead).
> I'd be perfectly glad to update the trunk myself - I was
> never asked, and never asked myself having perhaps
> mis-assuming commit rights were limited.

Great: we'd be happy to give you write access to you can update the
code directly.  Please request membership in the "emacs" group from your
savannah account.

>> I think Glenn's suggestion would be to move those modes out of Emacs
>> proper and have them be in elpa.git *instead*.
> IMO having it installed "out of the box" is in the best
> interest of both the users and myself.

Of course.  For Emacs-25, I hope to have a system in place so that the
Emacs tarball includes some GNU ELPA packages, so once that's in place,
being in GNU ELPA won't necessarily imply "not installed out of the box".

> Before verilog-mode joined Emacs proper I would get a flood
> of install requests every semester, corresponding to when
> college classes started and the professors would have their
> students start their first Verilog projects.

Do note that with ELPA, installation of packages is made a lot simpler:
no need to edit your .emacs file, for example.

> BTW most of those students have have never used Emacs, so
> even a one-command setup requirement is not desirable; it
> should "just work".

Of course (I should know: I use lmc.el in one of the intro courses to
CS, so 99% of the students have never heard of Emacs and they have to
install both Emacs and lmc.el to get started).

> (Even if the version of verilog-mode is not the most recent -
> generally only advanced users care about the most recent features.)

Indeed, the version that comes with Emacs was "start of the art" not
that long ago.

        Stefan