Re: Default setting for sh-maybe-here-document-mode

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Default setting for sh-maybe-here-document-mode
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 09:41:33 +0100

> Now I am curious, I'll probably dive in the mailing list history to find
> out more about this motivation.

I don't think there's much history about it in the mailing-list.
Using post-self-insert-hook has the advantage of being more modular than
a key-binding: you can make it do heredoc expansion in sh-script without
affecting whether it does automatic reindent (via electric-indent-mode)
or automatic pairing (via electric-pair-mode), or ...

Oh I see, too many modes abusing key rebinding have lead me to believe it was the idiom for this kind of behavior.

>> > Another use-case, even if you never use here-strings, is that you
>> > want to enter a single <, but enter << instead.  You would expect
>> > this mistake to be corrected with a single backspace, but it's not.
>> We could special case this, potentially, but at the same time `undo' is
>> your friend.
> I know, but for some reason I can't get the hang of using undo in the flow
> of writing text.

It's definitely more intrusive, admittedly.  I'd welcome a patch which
makes backspace actually undo the expansion.

With your solution of requiring an additional (printed) character after the <, I think accidental expansion would get much rarer already.

> This is a good idea, but in this case you also need to include < < -
> as a trigger.

Indeed, and probably < < ' as well.

By the way, the bug report is sent now, sorry for the delay, I was without an internet connection for the week-end.

Thibaut