Re: save-excursion and the mark

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: save-excursion and the mark
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 13:31:19 +1100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

`save-excursion' is defined to save&restore the mark (as well as its being active or not).

But I'm having a hard time finding a piece of code where we actually make use of this. Can someone point me to such code (either in Emacs or in some external package)? I.e. point me to code which would misbehave if save-excursion were to stop saving&restoring the mark (and/or its activation status).

My `org-vcard` package on MELPA makes use of `save-excursion` in a few places, but mostly out of politeness towards the user (i.e. restoring point after my code has done its thing). At any rate, since the usage is so limited, i'd be happy to manually save point and the mark, if it's felt that it would be generally beneficial for `save-excursion` to not do so itself.

Alexis.