Re: save-excursion and the mark

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: save-excursion and the mark
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:52:42 -0500

> My `org-vcard` package on MELPA makes use of `save-excursion` in a few
> places, but mostly out of politeness towards the user (i.e. restoring point
> after my code has done its thing).

Yes.  99.9% of the uses expect it to save&restore point.  That's not the
cases I'm interested in.

> At any rate, since the usage is so limited, i'd be happy to manually
> save point and the mark, if it's felt that it would be generally
> beneficial for `save-excursion` to not do so itself.

I'm tempted to throw away the "save&restore mark" feature, since it
seems to be never used, and I've actually bumped into a few cases where
it's more annoying than useful (tho I wouldn't call them truly harmful).

        Stefan