Re: on-the-fly D-Bus proxy creation

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: on-the-fly D-Bus proxy creation
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 20:02:57 +0900

>> - it doesn't rely on introspection, but takes an interface definition in
>>   XML.  I think that's what other languages do these days.
>
> Introspection is also based on XML interface definitions.  Its
> advantage is that interface changes will be seen immediately.

Flexibility is good, but does it work well with byte-compilation?  It
wouldn't be great if one needs to write a declare-function to suppress
'the function XXX is not known to be defined' warnings for proxy
functions defined at run-time.

Of course it could be suppressed, but from my experience with
gdbus-codegen[1], one of the benefits of auto-generated D-Bus proxy is that
it could help detect programming errors at compile time.

> The disadvantage is, that not all D-Buse services offer interfaces for
> introspection. And it might be slower.

Absolutely.

Regards,
--