Re: emacs 25 broken?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs 25 broken?
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 05:45:13 +0200

> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 15:15:00 -0600
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 11:46:32 -0600
> >>
> >> Whenever I try to use emacs 25, something doesn't work right, and when
> >> trying to debug it I always run into bug #19611; "e (current-buffer)" in
> >> edebug returns the wrong buffer.
> >>
> >> Does anyone else see this problem? It's blocking all my work on master.
> >
> > Why do you need "e (current-buffer)" in Edebug so badly that it blocks
> > your work?
>
> Seriously? If I can't trust the debugger, how am I supposed to make
> progress?

There's a large gap between "e (current-buffer)" shows something other
than what you expect and "I cannot trust the debugger".  There's
nothing wrong with Edebug in general, so I don't see how that
particular issue can block any work.  FWIW, I use Edebug every day
(and yes, I do see the same issue with current-buffer).

> The real bug (in ada-mode) I'm trying to fix is in code that switches
> buffers. (That bug does not exist when the same code is run in emacs
> 24). Any expression I evaluate that relies on the current buffer is
> wrong in the debugger, so it's impossible to figure out what's going on.

You can always work around this.  E.g., add a variable that gets
assigned the buffer and look at it.  Or even add a 'message' call that
prints it.

> I did not record in the bug that `with-current-buffer' is not broken;
> executing M-x sal-debug gives the correct results.

There you go.