Re: save-excursion and the mark

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: save-excursion and the mark
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 09:18:00 +0000

 > `save-excursion' is defined to save&restore the mark (as well as its
 > being active or not).

 > But I'm having a hard time finding a piece of code where we actually
 > make use of this.  Can someone point me to such code (either in Emacs
 > or in some external package)?  I. e. point me to code which would
 > misbehave if save-excursion were to stop saving&restoring the mark
 > (and/or its activation status).

        FWIW, I’m having a hard time thinking of /why/ someone may make
        use of such a behavior.  The mark is pretty much a UI feature,
        and the code isn’t supposed to ever touch it /unless/ the very
        intent of said code is to change its position.  At which point
        saving and restoring its state becomes contrary to that intent.

        Unless there be a substantial code base which relies on the
        current behavior, I’d rather just change it, while taking
        reasonable effort to identify the affected packages and inform
        their respective maintainers of the fixes necessary.

--
FSF associate member #7257  Mother Gaia — Stratovarius  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A