Re: Help with contributing first change (patch for debbugs 354)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help with contributing first change (patch for debbugs 354)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:35:43 +0200

> From: Jeff Clough <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 19:07:27 -0500
>
> TL;DR: I am attempting to contribute my first change to GNU Emacs and am
> looking for a little hand-holding concerning the tools to use, and
> someone to review my change.

Thank you.

> 1. git checkout master
> 2. git pull
> 3. git checkout -b wishlist-354 (is this overkill for a small change?)

It's up to you.  I make such one-off changes directly in master, but
then I push them immediately after testing, while you will have to
wait until your patch is reviewed and approved.

> 4. Changed write-region in "fileio.c"
> 5. Tested my change (is building in place advised?)

Nothing wrong with building in place.  But please do make a point of
running the test suite, before and after the change, to make sure
there are no regressions.  Bonus points for adding tests to test this
new feature.

> So, what's next?

File a bug report with this patch, and wait for a review.

Thanks again.