Re: Minibuffer per buffer

From: Tu Do
Subject: Re: Minibuffer per buffer
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 13:43:52 +0700

I just want to mention this issue to make it a feature request in the wishlist. Using frame as another minibuffer is not always nice because we have another OS window floating around. And it can't be used in the terminal.

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Yuri Khan <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Filipp Gunbin <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 05/03/2015 11:47 +0700, Tu Do wrote:
>> As monitor becomes larger with higher resolution (i.e. 4k monitor), I think it would be beneficial to have an option to activate minibuffer
>> per buffer.

The motivation, as I understand it, is to bring the minibuffer closer
to the focus of user’s attention, which is in the selected window.

An easy workaround is to use multiple frames (perhaps with a tiling
window manager), each of which would by default have a minibuffer.

I actually do this with a pre-4k (24″ 16:10 1920×1200) monitor,
splitting it into left and right halves. When working on code, I
frequently have both halves occupied with Emacs frames (each of which
may be further split into the top and bottom windows).

> Where should echo messages (including not related to the current buffer)
> be displayed in this case?

This can probably be solved the same way they choose a minibuffer when
multiple frames are involved.