Re: Free variable warning about bbdb-version (bug#19678)

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: Free variable warning about bbdb-version (bug#19678)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 21:14:25 -0600

> > I guess I would not try to be compatible with both versions.
>
> Do you see any harm in being compatible with both versions?  The
> patch is already written and tested, so I figure I might as well
> push it.

No, I do not see any (direct) harm.  Merely, I find that such things
can significantly decrease readability of the code and thus make
maintanence more difficult.  (Yet I do not know how intensely the
code you talk about is linked to BBDB.  With just a few function
calls from BBDB there should not be too much a problem.)

Also, features in BBDB 3 have been significantly expanded.  I do not
know either whether your code might benefit from that.

Roland