Re: defcustom standard value and byte-compilation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: defcustom standard value and byte-compilation
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 09:54:39 -0400

> I don't think this is an option for AUCTeX as it supports Emacs versions
> down to 21.4 and also XEmacs.

Of course, I think that's a mistake ;-)

> And several parts make use of the dynamic binding of locals. :-(

That's no problem, lexical-binding supports dynamically scoped variables
as well (you just have to declare them beforehand via (defvar <var>)).

> But customize shows the value of the expression, not the expression
> itself.

IIRC there's a way to get the expression rather than the value.

> Ok, but couldn't the standard form be at least macroexpanded?  That
> shouldn't cause any harm and would take care of the typical use-case
> where one uses macros of a package which might not be available at
> load-time.

Changing the defcustom behavior in Emacs-25.1 to be the same in
dynamic-binding than with lexical-binding wouldn't help you with XEmacs
and Emacs-21.4.

        Stefan