Re: pipe

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: pipe
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 12:59:19 +0200

> From: Daiki Ueno <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 18:01:48 +0900
>
> Related to:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-09/msg00777.html
> in which I proposed a generalization of start-process, in a similar way
> to open-network-stream and make-network-process.

I don't see the additional file descriptors mentioned there, did I
miss something?

> My motivation behind that was to avoid temporary files in epg.el, by
> using file descriptors other than 0 and 1 (as you know, gpg has options
> --status-fd, --command-fd, --attribute-fd, etc. for that).

Can these features of gpg be used on MS-Windows?  IOW, how do you
invoke a subprocess with redirected file descriptors beyond the 3
standard ones, in a way that will work not only on Posix platforms
that support the full 'fork' functionality?

(I was about to ask why not use the existing feature of talking to
localhost via sockets, but then realized that it would suffer from the
same problem of how can we invoke a subprocess with more than just the
standard handles redirected.)

In any case, the Emacs side of this new process type, if it is added,
will "need work" in w32proc.c.

Thanks.