Re: pipe

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: pipe
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 16:54:58 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 08:45:17 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> This said, I know nothing about w32's API in this regard, so maybe your
> suggestion could work.

I certainly hope so.  I just said that I didn't know about a way, but
that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

AFAIK, the only way to pass redirected files beyond the 3 standard
ones to subprocesses on Windows is via file handles (which are
actually pointers in disguise).  Handles to kernel objects are
system-global on Windows, so you can make a handle inheritable, and
then pass its value to the subprocess as a command-line argument; the
subprocess then should convert it to a Posix-style file descriptor by
calling a function.

But for this to work vis-à-vis gpg, the Windows port of gpg should
perform its part of this dance: it should know it accepts handles
(which could be 64-bit wide in 64-bit builds) instead of file
descriptors, and it should convert them to file descriptors before
using them as it would on Unix.