Re: pipe

From: Werner Koch
Subject: Re: pipe
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 21:08:21 +0100

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 13:29, address@hidden said:

>> Can these features of gpg be used on MS-Windows?  IOW, how do you
>> invoke a subprocess with redirected file descriptors beyond the 3
>> standard ones, in a way that will work not only on Posix platforms
>> that support the full 'fork' functionality?
>
> Actually, I'm not sure, but there was a porting effort of the GPG stack
> to Windows and Windows CE, and I think there should be a way to work

GnuPG-2 runs very well on Windows for about 10 years.  Windows has pipes
but inheriting only specific handles (OS file descriptors) is a bit
complicated and requires the use of a wrapper process (gpgme-w32spawn,
Glib uses something similar).

The old WindowsCE has only per-process file descriptors.  Thus I had to
write a device driver to implement OS wide file descriptors.  But the
old WindowsCE is more or less dead.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner