Re: Can we make set_point_both less expensive?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Can we make set_point_both less expensive?
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 23:02:49 -0400

> overlays. Setting inhibit-point-motion-hooks helped, but it occurs to me
> that the operation shouldn't have been expensive in the first place.

goto-char should never trigger any hook.  Properties such as
`intangible' are misfeatures, IMO.

> In addition to allowing callers to bind inhibit-point-motion-hooks, what
> about tracking whether any property or overlay ever inserted into a
> buffer uses one of these uncommon facilities? This way, the common case
> is fast even without inhibit-point-motion-hooks.

I think we should make those goto-char hooks conditional on a variable,
and make this variable default to nil.  That's an incompatible change,
of course, but it would solve this issue.  And the var's name should
make it clear it's only present to support some legacy feature that's
being phased out.

        Stefan