Re: Generalize start-process with keyword args

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Generalize start-process with keyword args
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 19:12:45 +0000

On Mon 16 Mar 2015, Daiki Ueno wrote:

> Daiki Ueno <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> BTW, what happened with your earlier `make-process' suggestion?
>>
>> I'm still willing to work on that, but just wanted to be sure that my
>> desired feature (additional pipes) could be implemented atop of it,
>
> So here it is.  This merely adds a new function `make-process' as an
> alternative form of `start-process', and use it in the `start-process'
> implementation.  No extra feature has been added by now.
>
> All tests succeeded with this, except file-notify-tests, which is
> failing without the patch.  Reviews appreciated.

As you are extending code in this area, perhaps you could consider a
feature request.

start-process assumes that the system is capable of handling shebang
lines in shell scripts and launching them by executing a shell. This is
not supported by Windows, and so does not work in the native Windows
builds of emacs.

It would be useful to have a way to have start-process have an option to
start the new process via a shell, so that existing code that assumes
that it can use start-process with an executable shell script can also
be made to work on Windows.

    AndyM