Re: antlr-mode.el - need some support by python.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: antlr-mode.el - need some support by python.el
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 21:31:41 +0200

On 03/22/2015 03:54 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

it's a special var which many built-in function respect, so the user
respects it automatically, most of the time, without even trying to.

The fact that it's only obeyed by using it explicitly is a feature: as
explained, setting narrowing has too far reaching effects which are not
always desirable.

But obeying something automatically is nice for correctness, even if the client come has to opt-in, as long as the latter is easy to do.

You haven't really commented on introduction of another kind of narrowing. As I understand, you don't want the new kind to be stronger than the current one. Okay, what about `prog-submode-narrow-to-region', `prog-submode-widen' and `prog-submode-save-restriction'? They would use the new dynamic var to contain the bounds. The indentation facility documentation would simply indicate not to use `widen' and friends, but use their `prog-submode-' counterparts.

And the extra indentation column, I think, would still be better to pass in as an argument to the indent-calculate function.